If you like how chocolate and caramel go together you will definitely love these caramel and chocolate truffles. Sweet, a bit salty, chocolaty and chewy, with a great flavor and a crispy texture coming from the cocoa nibs, quite hard not to get in love with them.
These amazing truffles are really easy to prepare and require few ingredients. The best part is that are an amazing dessert that can be prepared in advance and have it ready for holiday season or any other friend or family gathering.
- Makes about 25 truffles
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 7 oz (200g) bittersweet chocolate. chopped
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp (15g) cocoa nibs, optional
- Cocoa powder or grated chocolate for coating
- Place the sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low-medium heat, and cook until sugar dissolves, stirring with a wooden spoon until it gets a caramel color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
- Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add salt vanilla extract and chocolate. Stir well until smooth.
- Stir in cocoa nibs if used.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours until hard enough to roll into balls.
- Use a teaspoon or a melon-baller to scoop out the truffles and with greased palms form into 1 inch (3cm) balls.
- Roll the balls in cocoa powder or grated chocolate and refrigerate for at least half an hour before serving.